Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Innumerable Pizza Huts

I read a board outside the pizza hut. "Entry Rights reserved"
I didnt like it. Not that i was not allowed or something. I cursed the multinationals and their forced ideas of being IN, HIP and civilised. Rather of being fit to live. Its OK .. i shrugged. Perhaps i really dont fit here i told myself.

I had a flat tyre. I pushed my cycle all along to a cycle shop. There was truck parked outside the shop. The shop wasnt very big. Just like the road side shops offering to fill up air and remove the puncture. I told the owner that my cycle needed air.
Two of his friends sat there. He filled up the air.
Do you do the oiling as well ? i asked as he was working on the tyre
yes he said.
Ok. Please do that.
He went inside to keep the pump. Then he looked at his friend. I dont know what passed between them. But he just went and sat.
Oiling? i reminded.
woh 'cycle' ki dukan mein milega, he said with a tinge of superiority
I didnt understand it for a second or two. Then i recalled the truck parked outside.
Ok, i smiled reluctantly. Heres the money, i offered
Its OK he said. Keep it with you.

I remembered the sign outside pizza hut

2 comments:

FifthBeatle said...

Theoretically, Pizza Hut is not a public organization. What is wrong with reserving rights?

Sayali said...

I dont say its wrong - its just the attitude that bothers me - Pizz Hut doesnt have a membership - so its not that u r not allowed because you are not a member. You are not allowed because you do not fit into the certain level - with respect to money, style taste or attitude - of people that we get here.